Paperwork needed to sell your home
When you decide to sell your house, you will be bombarded with a lot of different kinds of legal paperwork. First, there’s the contract you will sign with your realtor (in case you opt to sell by yourself, you won’t need this). In addition to that, there will be purchase agreements; replies to offers to purchase; disclosures and a host of other real estate forms that can just drive you nuts. Just check any FSBO reference and all these will be listed for your easy reference.
What most FSBO references forget to mention is that, aside from the real estate forms that pertain to actually selling your home, there are other papers that you need to secure. These documents need to be ready before you even put your house up for sale, and before you secure the services of a realtor. These documents include:
- Records of Tax Assessments and Tax Payments – the buyer would need to know if you they have to shoulder any late tax when they purchase your property.
- Financial Records – present this to your realtor (or the buyer) so they would be fully aware of the pending obligations for the property. This also serves to verify that the unit is indeed, under your name and that you are authorized to sell it.
- Legal Property Description – the legal description of your property is indicated on certificates of titles, warranties, and even quick claim deeds. In case your property is mortgaged and you have surrendered the original sets to the bank, you should have photocopies on file.
- Property Listing – indicate which pieces of property or equipment (curtains, tanks, appliances) will and will not be included in the sale of your home.
- Homeowners By-Laws (if applicable) – if you live in a subdivision and your neighborhood is governed by a home-owner’s association, a copy of the by-laws should be prepared beforehand.
If you are unsure about what other documents you need to bring out or prepare for, you can consult with a real estate lawyer, agent, or your local real estate government office. They should be able to discuss these with you and guide you through the entire home-selling process.
BEST DEAL – Real Estate Homes Sales Package
Unlimited Access (60+ Forms) for Only $14.99. Includes a Real Estate Purchase and Sales Agreement, Counter Offer (Addendum) Form, Offer to Purchase Real Estate Form, Disclosure Forms, and more.
You will also get a FREE copy of Home Selling Secrets with your order.